The Merry Beggars
The Merry Beggars (TMB) is the entertainment division of Relevant Radio, a Catholic radio network reaching 220 million people. We create exceptional entertainment that inspires families to seek virtue and adventure. Our shows have received over 1,000,000 downloads. And we’re just getting started.
The Casting Associate is an independent contractor position that assists the Casting Director in planning and posting casting calls and reviewing auditions so that The Merry Beggars can cast excellent talent and bring beautiful entertainment to millions of families.
This role requires someone who is detail oriented, efficient, organized, analytical, creative, and mission aligned. Communication skills are a must. Casting Associate will work closely with Casting Director, following an outlined process for developing casting plots, posting casting calls to our website and to third-party casting sites, and assisting with first-round audition review. Experience working in entertainment, media, or theater is preferred, along with experience in casting or directing.
The people who consistently succeed at The Merry Beggars live and breathe our core values, listed below. If these values resonate with you and you answer ‘yes’ to the questions, you may be a fit for The Merry Beggars.
Culture Changing Catholic: We follow Jesus Christ and are on a mission to glorify God. We don’t accept the cultural status quo. We draw upon thousands of years of painting, sculpture, storytelling, and experience to inspire us and give us direction.
- Do you wholeheartedly agree with the Catholic Church’s moral teachings and deposit of faith? Do you seek God’s guidance in your life?
- ** Note: Contractors need not be Catholic or Christian, but will generally not succeed if they are anti-Catholic or anti-Christian.**
Professional Excellence: We delight in excellence, exceeding expectations in every area. We tend to the details no one will see. From developing scripts to welcoming actors to designing sound, we strive for perfection in all areas of our craft.
- Do you demand high standards of yourself? Are you driven by a desire for achievement and excellence? Are you dissatisfied until all the details in a project are exceptional?
Total Ownership: Our job isn’t done until the job is done. We hold ourselves responsible for all results, no matter the circumstances. We find a path or invent one. We never take an excuse.
- Do you follow up on projects until you achieve the results? Do you do whatever it takes to get the job done instead of blaming others and making excuses? Do you own failures in order to maximize your own growth?
Continual Growth: We are driven to realize potential, professionally and personally. Opportunities are responsibilities entrusted to us for the good of others. We strive to have the greatest impact possible. We constantly seek growth. We are never done.
- Do you consistently seek out self-development, instead of waiting to be trained by others? Do you consistently challenge yourself and seek growth in your personal life?
Hungry: We work hard. We are passionate about our mission, care deeply about our people, and settle for nothing less than excellence. We are humble, entitled to nothing. We embrace challenge, leaving everything on the field.
- Are you self-motivated to accomplish ambitious projects? Have you overcome massive obstacles to achieve your goals? Do you make your own luck?
Open & Honest: We share openly and challenge directly, always seeking the greater good of the other person and our company. Truth builds trust, which builds teamwork, which builds passion and excitement, which fuels growth and excellence.
- Do you seek out constructive feedback - and offer it to others - to solve issues and build trust with coworkers?
- Develop casting plots, which are charts that detail necessary information about every character being cast (age, sex, ethnicity, etc.)
- Organize and post casting calls to third-party casting sites, such as Backstage and Actors Access, and to our website.
- Assist Casting Director in reviewing first-round auditions based on the following criteria: professionalism, accuracy to character attributes, and experience.
- Aid Casting Director in any additional needs that may arise regarding casting, such as drafting emails advertising casting calls using our email marketing software, ConvertKit.
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in casting or direction
- Experience with media/entertainment/theater production a plus
- Experience and/or comfort with learning software platforms (ConvertKit, Microsoft Teams, Email, third-party casting sites, AirTable)
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and mission-aligned
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines in a high-pressure environment
- Match TMB values (described above)
Timing, Location, Compensation
TMB is seeking to fill this position with the right candidate as soon as possible.
This is a remote independent contractor position with competitive hourly pay.
Once you submit an application, you will be emailed instructions on completing a 40-60 minute job audition. This is an opportunity to explore what the role would entail and to demonstrate your skills.
Please complete the below application, making sure to complete and attach the job audition.